Posts tagged with : Healthy Eating Nutrition Recipes Soup
Recipe: Miso Soup
This traditional Japanese recipe is great for warm or chilly weather. It’s got plenty of great protein and nutrients with very few calories. Note that it’s higher in sodium than many of our previous recipes, so you might want to alter it if you’re on a low-sodium diet.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 plum (Roma) tomatoes, peeled and seeded, then diced
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups vegetable stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1/4 pound firm tofu, drained and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, brushed clean, and caps thinly sliced
- 1 cup watercress leaves
- 1 green (spring) onion, including tender green top, thinly sliced
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the yellow onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, ginger and garlic and saute until the tomatoes are softened, about 5 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to a simmer.
Whisk in the miso until dissolved. Add the tofu, mushrooms and watercress and simmer until the tofu is heated through and the mushrooms and watercress are softened, about 1 minute.
Ladle into warmed individual bowls and garnish with the green onion. Serve immediately.
Came from: Mayo Clinic